A southern speciality that you can change the ingredients to suit what is available.
1 1/2 kgm whole Chicken.
1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil.
125 grams of Short Cut Bacon, sliced into approximately 2 cm pieces.
3 medium Onions, peeled and chopped into large chunks.
3 cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed.
1 Red Capsicum, seeded and chopped into 2 cm cubes
1 Yellow Capsicum, seeded and chopped into 2 cm cubes.
3 medium Carrots, peeled and finely sliced.
2 stalks of Celery, finely chopped.
1 tablespoon of Chilli Powder.
1/2 a tablespoon of Crushed Cayenne Pepper or Paprika.
1-1/2 cups of Long Grain White Rice.
1/2 a cup of Tomato Paste.
3 cups of Ham Stock.
1 can of tinned Diced Tomatoes.
1/2 a teaspoon of crushed Black Pepper.
1/2 a cup of minced Parsley.
1 Bay Leaf.
1 bunch of Fresh Spinach, remove the stems, rinse well and cut into fine shreds.
Simmering time on the stove: 17 minutes including frying time.
Thermal cooking time: A minimum of one hour.
1. Cut the legs, thighs and breast off the Chicken, remove the skin and bones then cut the meat into large chunks and set this aside.
2. Note: - the Chicken discards and bones can be used for a stock for other meals later.
3. Lightly brown the Chicken in the saucepan then remove it and place it aside for later.
4. Pour the Olive Oil into the saucepan and add the Bacon and brown it on all sides.
5. Stir in the Onions and Garlic, and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add in the Capsicums, Carrots, Celery, Chilli Powder and Cayenne (or Paprika), and stir until all the vegetables are coated with the spices.
7. Add the rest of the ingredients except the Spinach, bring the mixture to the boil and then turn down the heat to simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
8. Turn off the heat and transfer the saucepan into the vacuum insulated outer container for a minimum of one hour.
Spread the Spinach shreds over each plate to form a crisp green nest and then spoon the hot Jambalaya on to this nest.