Caribbean Chicken and Rice
This is an ideal dish for a thermal cooker as everything can be prepared in the inner pot.
One pot meals such as this are ideal to cook in your motor home while you are on the move.
The use of chicken on the bone helps keep the chicken moist.
• 8 chicken pieces, 4 thighs, 4 drumsticks, skinned
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp ground coriander
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tbsp paprika
• ½ tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 chilli, seeded and chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 tsp fresh thyme
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
• juice of 1 lemon
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
• 350g long grain rice
• 3 tbsp dark rum (optional)
• 410g tin black-eye beans, drained
• ground black pepper
TO MARINADE THE CHICKEN
1. In a bowl mix together the ½ tsp of the salt, ½ tsp pepper, the coriander, cumin, paprika nutmeg the chilli, onion, thyme, garlic, the soy sauce and lemon juice.
2. Put the chicken pieces in a plastic food bag and add the contents of the bowl.
3. Work the marinade into the chicken pieces before sealing the bag and putting it in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours.
1. Heat the vegetable oil and muscovado sugar in the inner pot until it turns a golden cover. Be careful not to over cook it or it will burn.
2. Put the chicken pieces in the inner pot saving the marinade.
3. Put on the lid and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, then turn the chicken and cook, covered, for another 5 minutes until evenly browned.
4. Stir in the onion and any remaining juices from the marinade.
5. Add the rice and beans.
6. Pour in 900 ml of water and the rum. Stir well and bring to the boil.
7. Turn down to a simmer and put on the lid. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Put the inner pot into the insulated outer container and shut the lid.
9. Thermal Cook without power for a minimum of 2 hours.
10. Check the seasoning before serving.
NOTE: This recipe is supplied by Chef Dave Knowles from the UK and is described for a 4.5 litre inner saucepan so you will need to adjust quantities if you are using something else.