This is such and easy complete meal that is ideal for the thermal cooker. You can vary the vegetables to include what you want. Just remember root vegetable can go in at the beginning and leaf vegetable such as cabbage just before serving.
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1.2kg smoked gammon joint
• 8 shallots, left whole
• 3 celery sticks, cut into chunks
• 3 carrots, cut into chunks
• 500g small new potatoes
• 450ml of cider
• 500ml vegetable stock
• ½tsp fresh ground pepper
• ½ small savoy cabbage
1. Heat the olive oil in the inner pot.
2. Add the gammon joint and brown all over.
3. Remove the gammon, keep to one side.
4. Put the shallots, celery and carrots in the pot and cook for about 4 minutes until just starting to soften.
5. Put the gammon back in the pot and add the potatoes.
6. Pour on the apple juice and top up with stock. Add the pepper and bring the pot to the boil. Once boiling skim off any scum before turning down to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Put the inner pot into the insulated outer pot and shut the lid.
8. Allow to thermal cook without power for a minimum of 3 hours.
9. About 10 minutes before serving remove the gammon and keep it warm. Add the cabbage and bring back to the boil. turn down the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
10. To serve slice the gammon and plate up with a selection of the vegetable. Check the cooking liquid and if not too salty use it to pour a little over the meat.
NOTE: This recipe is supplied by Chef Dave Knowles from the UK and is described for a 4.5 litre inner saucepan so you will need to adjust quantities if you are using something else.