Rogan Josh Lamb Shanks
To get the best from this recipe you need to slash the lamb shanks a few times to allow the spices to penetrate.
Like all lamb shanks meals this one needs a long cooking time to tenderise the meat.
• 2" piece of ginger, chopped
• 6 garlic cloves
• 4 tbsp water
• vegetable oil
• 12 cardamom pods
• 2 bay leaves
• 6 cloves
• ½tsp of peppercorns
• 2 onions, chopped
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 4 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1½ tsp salt
• 250 g plain yogurt
• 400g tin chopped tomatoes
• 2 to 4 lamb shanks, depending on how many you are cooking for
1. Blend together the ginger, garlic and the 4 tablespoons of water.
2. Put the inner pot on a medium heat and add 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
3. Add the lamb shanks and brown all over 2 at a time. Then put them to one side while you prepare the sauce to cook them in.
4. Put the cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorn and cinnamon in the inner pot and stir for 30 seconds.
5. Add the chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the ginger and garlic mixture and stir for 30 seconds.
7. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the yogurt and mix well.
8. Slowly add the rest of the yogurt and the tin of tomatoes stirring as it is added. Cook for 3 minutes.
9. Place the shanks into the sauce making sure that they are cover. If the sauce does not cover them add a little water.
NOTE: This recipe is supplied by Chef Dave Knowles from the UK and is described for a 4.5 litre inner saucepan so you will need to adjust quantities if you are using something else.