Poached Pears or Apples in Spiced Wine
A superb treatment for Pears or Apples that is very visually appealing.
4 cooking apples or pears (peeled and cored)
Juice and zest of half a lemon
2 cups of Red wine
1/2 a cup of castor sugar
1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Thickened cream or yoghurt for serving.
Simmering time on the stove top: 5 minutes
Thermal cooking time: 1 hour minimum
1. Place all of the ingredients except the apples or pears into the inner pot and bring to the boil over a low heat.
2. Add the apples or Pears and bring back to the boil.
3. Turn down the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes with the lid on.
4. Turn off the heat and transfer the inner pot into the insulated container and close the lid
5. Leave for a minimum of 1 hour
6. Serve with thickened cream or yoghurt.