Pork Standing Rib Roast with Apple Sauce
This is an easy new way to create an old time favourite.
1 to 1.5 kg standing pork rib roast
3 medium potatoes, halved
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large onion, peeled and cut into quarters
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
100 grams of fresh green beans, topped/tailed and cut in half
1 packet of dried peas
360 gram jar of apple sauce
Enough unsweetened apple juice to cover the ingredients
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Brown the standing rib roast all over to provide colour and reduce the fat.
2. Stand the rib roast up in the middle of the 4.5 litre inner saucepan.
3. Surround with the chunky vegetables, beans and dried peas.
4. Pour in the apple sauce and enougfh unsweetened apple juice to cover the ingredients.
5. Bring to the boil and then simmer with the lid on for a minimum of 25 to 30 minutes.
6. NOTE: If you are using the two 3 litre inner saucepans you can lay the rib roast down with the dried peas, beans, onions, apple sauce and juice (simmer for 20 miniutes) and then place all of the other vegetables in the second saucepan and cover with water, bring this to the boil and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Place the inner saucepan into the outer container and close the lid
8. Leave for a minimum of 3 hours.
9. To serve, remove the roast and vegetables and vigorously boil the remaining liquid to reduce it by a half.
10. Pour this gravy over the individual servings.