Orange and Anise Mulled Wine
This is a stronger tasting spice wine that is well worth a try.
Ingredients:...to suit the 4.5 litre inner saucepan
4 bottles of Shiraz pr a similar cask wine)
1 cup of brown sugar
4 sticks of cinnamon
5 star anise
2 tablespoons of whole cloves
1. Peel the oranges using a vegetable peeler being careful to not peel too much of the pith.
2. Cut the peel into strips.
3. Squeeze the juices from the oranges and discard the seeds and pith.
4. Combine the wine, orange juice and brown sugar in the inner saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
5. Place the orange peel, cinnamon, star anise and whole cloves into a cheesecloth bag and tie the end.
6. Place the spice bag into the simmering wine and simmer for 10 m inutes.
7. Place the inner saucepan into the outer container and leave for a minimum of 3-3 4 hours (the flavours will develop even more with more time.
8. Serve warm to hot and garnish with a cinnamon stick or slice of orange.