This is my version Swedish meatballs with mushrooms. I have used anchovies as a seasoning and to give the sauce depth. The anchovies themselves melt into the sauce.
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 200g mushrooms, sliced
• 1 large onion, cut in chunks
• 4 or 5 anchovies
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 750ml of good beef stock
• 12 meatballs, ready made will be fine
• sour cream
• egg noodles, cooked and drained
1. put the oil and butter in the inner pot over a medium heat.
2. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook slowly until both are soft.
3. Put in the anchovies and cook until the dissolve into the mushroom and onion mixture.
4. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
5. Slowly pour in the beef stock stirring to stop lumps forming
6. Bring to the boil and add the meatballs.
7. Bring back to the boil and then simmer with the lid on for 5 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat and put the inner pot into the insulated outer pot.
9. Shut the lid and leave to thermal cook for a minimum of 2 hours.
10. Just before serving cook the pasta.
11. Serve the meatballs on the pasta and drizzle over some sour cream.
NOTE: This recipe is supplied by Chef Dave Knowles from the UK and is described for a 4.5 litre inner saucepan so you will need to adjust quantities if you are using something else.