Spicy Baked Beans
Spicy Baked Beans make for a hearty meal on those cold winter evenings.
1 teaspoon of Olive Oil.
2 1/2 cups of chopped Onions.
2 cloves of Garlic, peeled, crushed and finely chopped.
1 tablespoons of freshly grated Ginger.
2 cups of Carrots, peeled and finely sliced.
2 cups of Apples, peeled and cored and sliced.
1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper.
3/4 a cup of Tomato Paste.
1/2 a cup of Dijon Mustard.
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce.
1/2 a cup of Brown Sugar (or Molasses)
2 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar.
1 cup of Tomato Sauce.
1 cup of water
1/2 a cup of Raisins.
1 teaspoon of minced Chilli Pepper.
1 Bay Leaf.
375grams of Red Kidney Beans that have been soaked overnight beforehand.
Simmering time on the stove: 5 to 10 minutes.
Thermal cooking time: A minimum of 4 hours.
1. Soak the Kidney beans overnight,
2. Cover with fresh water and bring them to the boil in the inner saucepan.
3. Simmer for ten minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and place the inner saucepan into the vacuum insulated outer container for 2 hours minimum.
5. Remove the kidney beans from the saucepan and rinse it out.
6. Add the oil to the bottom of the saucepan and fry the Onions over a medium heat for approximately 3 minutes or until they soften and clear.
7. Remove from the heat and add the chopped Garlic, Ginger and Cayenne allowing the mixture to cool for about 30 seconds, stirring to release the volatile oils.
8. Stir in the Carrots and Apples until they are well coated with the spices.
9. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir thoroughly and place back on the heat to bring the mixture to a steady boil.
10. Turn off the heat and transfer the saucepan to the vacuum insulated outer container, close the lid.
11. Leave the meal to Thermally cook for a minimum of 4 hours.
Variations: You can add 500 grams of chunky tasty sausages cut into 2 cm slices (Bratwurst, Chorizo or African Boerwurst are perfect) Add the sausage pieces when you add the kidney beans.