Easter Simnel Cake
This is a favourite and not only for Easter.
• ½ x 500g pack Fruit Medley
• ½ x 500g pack Mixed Fruit
• Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 175g butter
• 175g light muscovado sugar (Dark Brown Sugar)
• 4 large free range eggs, beaten
• 225g plain flour
• 2 tsp mixed spice
• 500g pack Golden Marzipan
• 100g pack Flaked Almonds toasted
• Apricot jam, warmed and sieved
1. Line a cake/pudding tin (that will fit in your inner pot) with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the fruit into a bowl with the grated zest and lemon juice and set aside.
3. Beat the eggs until they are fluffy and set to one side.
4. Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and beat together until pale.
5. Add the whisked eggs gradually mixing well as you between each addition - if the mixture begins to curdle, add a little flour.
6. Sieve the flour and mixed spice over the mixture, then fold in until combined.
7. Cut 200g marzipan into cubes and fold into the mixture with the reserved fruit and almonds, until evenly distributed.
8. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and level the top.
9. Cover the top of the cake/pudding tin either with he lid or eco-friendly foil. This is to stop water dripping on the top of the cake.
10. Place the cake/pudding tin inside the inner pot on a trivet.
11. Add enough boiling water to come 2/3rds the way up the side of the cake/pudding tin.
12. Bring back to the boil and then turn down the heat to a low simmer. Simmer gently with the lid on for 30 minutes.
13. Turn off the heat and transfer the inner pot into the vacuum-insulated outer container.
14. Close the lid and thermal cook without power for a minimum of 5 hours. It can be left overnight.
15. Once cooked, allow to cool in the tin before removing.
16. Remove from the cake/pudding tin and place on a wire rack.
17. To decorate, remove the baking parchment from the cake. Roll half the remaining marzipan into a round the size of the top of the cake.
18. Brush the top of the cake with the apricot jam and place the rolled marzipan on top.
19. Roll the remaining marzipan into 11 balls and position around the edge.
20. Place under a preheated high grill for 1-2 minutes or until golden and finish with a ribbon decoration.
NOTE: This recipe is supplied by Chef Dave Knowles from the UK and is described for a 4.5 litre inner saucepan so you will need to adjust quantities if you are using something else.