Bread and Butter Pudding
Everyone has half a loaf of bread left over and what better to with it than concoct a traditional Bread and Butter Pudding
1 tin of Evaporated Milk
3/4 of a cup of Milk
3 tablespoons of Castor Sugar
5 slices of Buttered Bread cubed (with the crusts removed)
2 tablespoons of Sultanas
2 table spoons of Grand Marnier
NOTE: You can thinly cover the buttered bread with a jam of your choice before cutting them into small cubes.
Simmering time on the stove top: 20 minutes.
Thermal Cooking time: 3 to 4 hours minimum.
1. Arrange the bread and sultanas in a suitable buttered pyrex or stainless steel baking dish that fits into your Shuttle Chef inner saucepans.
2. In a separate container sprinkle the Grand Marnier over the sultanas and leave for at least an hour.
3. Make the custard by heating the milk in a saucepan until it is hot without boiling.
4. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl, then slowly pour over the hot milk, whisking all the time.
5. Pour the custard over the bread and sultanas and sprinkle with nutmeg.
6. Cover with a suitable lid or Alfoil.
7. Place a suitable trivet in the 4.5 litre inner saucepan or a fold of Alfoil in one of the 3 litre inner saucepans.
8. Add enough boiling water to the inner saucepan, so that the water will come 2/3rds the way up the sides of the baking dish.
9. Carefully place the baking dish into the boiling water, using a folded strip of Alfoil to assist with lifting in and out of the inner saucepan (to prevent burning your fingers)
10. Bring to the boil, cover with the lid and turn the heat down to a simmer.
11. Simmer for 20 minutes.
12. Turn off the heat and place the inner saucepan into the vacuum insulated outer container.
13. Leave for 3 to 4 hours.