Simple Beef or Lamb Stew
An excellent hearty favourite that is always well recieved
1 kg of Lamb or Beef cubed into large pieces.
2 tablespoons of plain Flour.
1 tablespoon of Olive oil.
2 large Onions cut into quarters.
2 cloves of Garlic crushed.
1 stalk of Celery sliced into medium pieces.
1 Parsnip cubed into small pieces.
1 Carrot cubed into small pieces.
2 Potatoes cut into quarters
1 packet of dried Green Peas.
1 Massel Vegetable Stock Cube.
2 table spoons of Soy Sauce.
1/2 a cup of Barley.
3 cups of water.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
You can vary this to suit your tastes by the following: Add some mixed Herbs, either dried or fresh. With the beef you can substitute one cup of water for a cup of Red Wine.
You may add two table spoons of Thai Red Curry Paste.
You may also add a tin of Tomatoes however you will need to adjust the water amount to compensate. Y
ou may also substitute Frozen Vegetables for the fresh mentioned above.
Simmering time on the stove: 12 to 15 minutes.
Thermal cooking time: A minimum of 3 to 4 hours.
1. Heat the oil in the saucepan and cook the onions and garlic over a medium heat until they are transparent.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
3. Toss the cubed meat in seasoned flour.
4. Add the vegetables, soy sauce and water to the saucepan with the cooked onions and garlic,
5. Bring the contents to the boil over a medium heat and add the Meat, Barley, Stock and Dried Peas.
6. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer for 12 to 15 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
7. Turn off the heat and transfer the pot into the vacuum insulated outer container for a minimum of 3 to 4 hours